Thursday, January 19, 2012

How can I get rid of the check engine light after removing the catalytic converter.?

I have removed the catalytic converter from my truck and get a lot more power but now I am getting a check engine light that says my system is running lean. How can I correct this problem?How can I get rid of the check engine light after removing the catalytic converter.?
install a new catalytic converter.
The OBD is what causes the check engine light to turn on. It is the on board diagnostics chip which is mandatory in all vehicles after 1988 by emissions regulations. Your check engine light came on when you remover the catalytic converter because your vehicle is now creating more emissions than it is legally allowed to produce. You can temporarily turn it off by removing the battery cables for a few minutes and them putting them back on, however within 25 miles it will be back on. The catalytic converter might make difference in power, however it was put on there by emissions regulations to lower emissions in the air because of the global warming b.s. and all the "tree huggers" who want to save the world from us. lol The catalytic converter actually has a good purpose if you want cleaner air because it converts Hydrocarbons, Carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide (produced by your engine) into less harmful things like carbon dioxide(what you exhale) and water. By the way, it will not pass smog without the catalytic converter or if the check engine light is on and if you are caught driving it without the catalytic converter, they can tow your vehicle and fine you out the wazoo so be cautious. Good luck!How can I get rid of the check engine light after removing the catalytic converter.?
put the cat back in for sure. your car is not designed to run without one. You are polluting intentionally. you might as well dump a bag of garbage in lake tahoe. Put it back in and take time to realize that the slight power increase isnt worth your sensors going out and your computer freaking out. Your car is going to adjust for the cat being missing and will run your engine really hot.
un hook your battery for about an hour, my house heat vent blows on my car an resets the sensors (oxygen-fuel air, exhaust) all the time . I hope this helps, its gotta be at least 45 min though-- it takes the on board computer that long to erase it self---also anything newer than 1979 has an on board computerHow can I get rid of the check engine light after removing the catalytic converter.?
Reinstall the Catalytic converter, you are making more noise, which you are mistaking for more power. The new honeycomb type converters don't provide any significant exhaust restriction. Old myths from the days of pellet type converters die hard though.
your car must have an oxygen sensor after the catalytic coverter, unplug that oxygen sensor, and reprogram your ecu

2 comments:

  1. I have a 1995 Camero. It only has 64 thousand miles on it. My check engine light came on so I took it in to a mechanic who said my knock sensor was out so after almost a $1000.00 later (I was told I needed brakes again) belts etc etc the light went out but then a few weeks later my speedometer stopped working off and on and then it wouldn't get out of first gear so I found someone who replaced my speed sensor but the speedometer still isn't working and it still won't get out of first gear so I now am being told the it can be my catalytic converter. I live in AZ and where I live I don't have to smog my vehicle and the last time It was smogged was in 2002 so is it true that the catalytic converter can cause the car not to shift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I took the catalytic converter off of my 2001 Chevy Camaro in my car has it it feels like a hundred horsepower increase.my V6 motor was a toadthe car had absolutely no power. now it's flys like a bat Outta hell.not worried about getting it inspected because my mechanic will let it slide everytime I get it inspected.oh, I took the catalytic converter and through that damn piece of shit over the hill. I suggest you do the same.your ignorant comment about global warming what a bunch of bullshit. there is no global warming. so you can shove that up your...oh and I can tow your car......they will now never catch my car.so please take your friendly adviceand stick it in your ...and folks don't let this corrupt government stifel your life!

    ReplyDelete