Thursday, January 19, 2012

Is it safe to drive my mid '90s car with a broken catalytic converter? Will it keep running?

All of a sudden I couldn't get my 1995 Ford Taurus to go 35mph with the pedal to the floor! My mechanic says I need a new catalytic converter, but the cost of such an item (plus labor) is prohibitive right now.The car still runs. If I stay off the highway and just make short trips (and try to stay out of everyone else's way) is it safe to drive the car and would it continue to operate indefinitely with the broken down item?Is it safe to drive my mid '90s car with a broken catalytic converter? Will it keep running?
Not a good idea. Sometimes you NEED extra power to avoid a collision.



Remember that most converter failures are the result of some OTHER malfunction which is allowing unburned fuel into the converter.



Get THAT problem fixed TOO or you will burn up ANOTHER converter.
Your engine is designed for unleaded the converter reignites the gases for emissions control of exhaust. It is ok to drive it without one indefinitly but the epa frowns on it and so do some states. Check online for a aftermarket one or go to the junkyard and have one welded back on.Is it safe to drive my mid '90s car with a broken catalytic converter? Will it keep running?
it won't hurt the engine, all the catalytic converter does is control emissions. I'd agree with the mechanic of 45 years that it isn't a good thing, but it won't cause damage.
The more you drive it in it's current condition,. the more damage you do to the engine. It is not in a condition to be driven anywhere.Is it safe to drive my mid '90s car with a broken catalytic converter? Will it keep running?
Just drill a few 1/2" holes in the cat's body - it will get a bit noisy, but you'll get some power back... replace it soon, you won't pass smog test with it plugged (or drilled)
This is bad for the environment wont cause real damage to the car
will ruin engine and of course fuel economy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting about this. I've been wondering how risky this is. I think that it's a good idea to get a new catalytic converter anyway. I know that it is time to get a new one for sure.

    http://www.genie-exhaust.com.au/products

    ReplyDelete